The Soul of Haiti Foundation was established when a group of entrepreneurs and finalists of the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year travelled to Haiti in 2007. These entrepreneurs set up a number of small humanitarian projects in the South of Haiti. The entrepreneurs returned to Haiti in 2008 and subsequently established a Board of Directors to carry out the Foundations mission.
This Board, chaired by Michael Carey, have been involved with the projects since 2007 and more recently have been involved in assisting with the coordination of the CGI Haiti ActionNetwork. Michael Carey acts as rapporteur of the Industry & Enterprise Group in the CGI Haiti Action Network. Damien Meaney is the Country Director based in Haiti.
- June 2007 Established following the Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year CEO Retreat to Haiti
- June 2008 Formal structure includes Irish Board, Haiti Advisory Group, staff in Haiti and Dublin
- June 2009 Initial success with minor projects, applying business skills to social needs
- Jan 2010 Earthquake in Haiti killing over two hundred and fifty thousand and leaving over one million people homeless
- Soul of Haiti calls upon Irish entrepreneurs to engage in emergency response for Haiti
- Feb 2010 Soul of Haiti scales up programme and activities and becomes involved wit the Clinton Global Initiative’s Haiti Action Network
- May 2010 First Annual Cycle4Haiti organised by One4All. 40 cyclists raised €40k for Soul of Haiti Foundation
- Nov 2010 Revised strategy and programme of activities in place
- Jan 2011 Fresh Start 2011 – New President Martelly is inaugurated
- Feb 2011 Soul of Haiti group including builders, electricians and medical professionals travel to the Ile a Vache orphanage to continue works on the buildings and care for the disabled orphans
- May 2011 Second Annual Cycle4 Haiti organised by One4All. 150 cyclists raised €126k for Soul of Haiti
- June 2011 Damien Meaney becomes new Soul of Haiti Country Director in Haiti
- Sept 2011 One4All wins Chambers Ireland CSR Award for the Cycle4Haiti
- Oct 2011 Launch of Haiti Week with President Bill Clinton